SCIENCE MARCH 2016 PAPER TWO
Q. 1. A. Answer the following sub - questions: 
(1) Fill in the blanks and rewrite the completed statement: 
____________ is the largest gland in the body. [The liver]
(2) Find the odd one out and write it:
Vagina, uterus, vas deferens, ovary
Ans. Vas deferens is the odd one out. (It is an organ of the male reproductive system. The other three are organs of the female reproductive system.)
(3) State whether the statement is true or false: 
Aquatic animals breathe at a slower rate than the terrestrial animals.
Ans. The given statement is false. [Aquatic animals breathe at a faster rate than the terrestrial animals because of the low availability of oxygen in water as compared to air. ]
(4) Considering the relationship in the first pair, complete the second pair:
Rr: Homozygous :: Rr: _______________. [Heterozygous]
(5) Name the following:
Main ore of aluminium.
Ans. Main ore of aluminium is bauxite (Al2O3H2O)
(B) Rewrite the following statements by selecting the correct options: 
(1) _____________ is liberated when acetic acid reacts with sodium metal.
(2) For binary fission, Amoeba requires ___________ parent cells.
(3) A solution of CuSO4 in water is ________ in colour.
(4) Raisins are formed by drying grapes. The process that takes place during formation of raisins from grapes is __________.
(5) Ethanoic acid has a __________ odour.
(a) rotten eggs
Q. II. Answer the following questions. (any five) [5 x 2 = 10]
(1) Differentiate between voluntary and involuntary movements.
(2)What is the peculiarity of the ‘DNA’ structure?
(3) Draw a well - labelled diagram of longitudinal section of a flower.
(4) Give scientific reasons: Roots of plants grow away from light.
(5) Write any two measures to conserve water.
(6) What are fossils?
Q. III. Attempt any five of the following: [5 x 3 = 15]
(1) What is an alloy? Give two examples with their chemical composition.
(2) How is sex determined in human beings?
(3) State the different types of neurons. Explain their functions.
(4) What is the ‘3R’ mantra? Write its significance.
(5) Metal A has electronic configuration (2, 8, 1) and metal B has (2, 8, 8, 2). Which is more reactive? Why? Identify these metals.
(6) Explain the disadvantages of a large family size.
Q. IV. Answer any one of the following questions: 
(1) Given below are the end products of different reactions involving glucose.
(2) What is a homologous series? State any four characteristics of a homologous series.